Le Havre, Australian stopover
Since 5 June, Australia has landed in Le Havre and set-up camp until 7 November 2021 as part of “Le Havre, Australian stopover”, one of the highlights of the Australia Now France 2021-2022 programme.
This is an opportunity for you to (re)discover the island-continent and its special links with the Norman city – for over 200 years! – through a rich and varied cultural programme. For the occasion, the city of Le Havre has become the most Australian of French cities and the clocks are set to Canberra time to allow you a total immersion in Australian lifestyle and culture.
There are still many events and highlights of the programme to discover. Enjoy a wide range of exhibitions, sports events, concerts, shows, nature activities and games, art installations… There is something for all tastes and all ages!
Some events of the Escale to discover now or in the coming weeks:
- 3 exhibitions which make Le Havre an exceptional destination to discover contemporary Australian and Indigenous and Torres Strait Islander art:
- Visit the Museum d’histoire naturelle until 7 November for « Australia – Le Havre. L’intimité d’un lien (1801-2021) »
- Discover « Australie, au-delà du Rêve. Australia, beyond the Dream » at the Musées d’Art et d’Histoire until 7 November
- Until 19 September the Municipal Archives is showing « Painting now – Peindre aujourd’hui en terres aborigènes »
- From 3 July to 3 September, the installation “Dessin du territoire. Territoire du dessin / Land drawing. Drawing of the land” presents the collaborative work of Le Havre artist Patrice Balvay and the Ikuntji Artists’ Collective in the Northern Territory.
- From 26 to 29 August, the Fitzroy Café will be held at the Halle aux poissons: a coffee festival celebrating Melbourne’s history and passion for coffee.
- You can also enjoy the Australian Walk during the duration of the Stopover: a signposted route that takes you to iconic local heritage sites which are reminiscent of the distant southern island.
And there are many more surprises and activities to discover : visit the Australian Stopover programme: https://escaleaustralienne.lehavre.fr/agenda